Thursday, May 24, 2012

Courtneybelle's Freaky-Awesome Exploration of the Many Hyphens in Matt Bell's Cataclysm Baby


Some of my PBR book club compatriots know that I tend to notice the words that authors choose. Grammar is also fascinating to me.  So, I'm actually surprised how long it took me to notice Matt Bell's religious use of hyphens in Cataclysm Baby. Evidently, I was the only one who was distracted by this, let alone took the trouble to obsessively highlight them.

At first I considered the author's hyphen use an affront. But quickly I realized that Matt Bell is quite masterful, however prolific, in its use. Other authors are wasting opportunity by not abusing it as readily as he. All other authors must be envy-greened.
 
So here's the somewhat-jokingly requested list.  I personally love some of the imagery these create. And BONUS! My favorites (like blood-wet, hurt-drowned, cougar-hearts, and hope-bloodied) double as goth band names. 

sister-scribed
now-avenged
once-plump
grief-stung
suck-marks
once-used
womb-thrashed
gene-short
still-stinking
mistake-given
cervix-bends
milk-drawn
state-issued
oft-spilled
state-razor
split-wombed
blood-wet
shut-ins
no-use
right-birthed x2
guilt-path
anger-fist
hurt-drowned
lightning-fused
mirror-smooth
last-caught
thread-worn
child-sized
thin-walled
plague-slapped
still-beating
short-lived
tear-soaked
lint-slop
meat-stink
salt-shame
skin-gorged
gristle-spat
re-fleshed
one-time
heat-stunk
finger-hooves
scape-stones
siren-daughters
sweet-singing
mouth-noises
same-enunciated
mock-crying
wife-voiced
certainty-cursed
still-nameless
ox-stunk
idiot-happy
paper-strewn
mother-laden
harrow-hunt
beast-headed x2
far-ranging
snow-clenched
bear-bodies
cougar-hearts
boar-teeth
wolf-head
spirit-quaked
hope-bloodied
wolf-childen
foot-sore
oil-black
oft-emptied
daughter-voice x6 (at least)
left-behinds
once-thought
crank-powered
wire-snips

1 comment: